Under the direction of the Library-Media Specialists, the HSD Libraries support the Hartford School District’s curriculum and provide a wide range of reading materials to suit many interests and reading abilities. In order to encourage our students to be lifelong readers and lifelong learners, we provide instruction in the use of libraries and encourage an appreciation of the many forms of literature for children and young adults.
- To help our students become effective users of ideas and information, we teach Information Literacy Skills that focus on formulating questions, using research skills to find information, and presenting the information effectively. We help our students to understand that information comes in many forms, from traditional print formats to electronic resources.
- We use technology tools to enhance instruction, and promote the use of technology within our respective buildings.
- To encourage an interest in high-quality books, we promote and participate in award programs that allow students to vote for their favorite books from new lists of nominated books each year.
-Red Clover picture books for grades K-4
-Dorothy Canfield Fisher books for grades 4-8
-Green Mountain Book Award for grades 9-12
- We maintain collections of print, audio-visual, and electronic resources that match the needs of our respective schools.
- We cooperate with our local public libraries, and provide library access for parents and home-schoolers in our community.